Tuesday, December 12, 2006

10 years of Hope

Bobbi-Jo and I attended our last staff Christmas party with Hope Community Church last night. Lots of fun. Because this summer/fall has been such a whirlwind, and because we're not going to really to be gone, I've hardly had time to think about leaving Hope, but I did yesterday afternoon.

When I moved down here I was looking for a big church. When I couldn't find one, I found this little 'startup church' called Hope Community Church that was affiliated with my church in Ohio. I really didn't want to be a part of a 'startup church', but as I started attending there, even though I was the only single twenty-something in the 150 or so people that were attending at the time, I found family. I found a really warm group of people that were seeking after the Lord and loved me. And I got a job, a wife, a whole new group of friends, another job, and a crazy journey out of the whole thing. And, in large part because of Mike's heart, I have a radically different understanding of God's love for the world and how He wants to use the church to speak into our culture.

It's pretty impossible to think about what my life would be like if I hadn't gotten a random phone call 10 years ago from a secretary at my church in Ohio letting me know about Hope. It's impossible to describe how fulfilling it's been over the past 10 years to see and be a part of this church growing and affecting so many people's lives. It's impossible to describe how much the people there mean to me.

Last night was not really a goodbye, but it did provide some form of closure... like 'we're going now and things aren't going to be the same and that's alright'... more than alright, what God has done here deserves to be celebrated. And to be honest, I'm too excited about what God is doing at Visio Dei to be the least bit sad or nostalgic. Sunday was amazing. I don't know what happened there, but it was amazing and it would again be impossible to describe how excited I am to see what God is going to do in and through this group of people.

Thanks so much for being a part of my journey and letting me be a part of yours. Life's pretty great...

BTW - spent the morning at the Royal Bean on Hillsborough... Amanda fixed me a cup of the Kenyan Peaberry in a french press and I had a fresh cranberry scone... highly recommend this place, stop by sometime.

5 Comments:

At December 12, 2006 2:14 PM, Blogger Shannon Smith said...

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life. I'm glad I get to be a part of it.

Your overly sarcastic friend, that often makes jokes at your expense, who is trying for once to be serious,

-shannon

 
At December 12, 2006 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Kenyan Peaberry in a french press"

What!!! dude I'm freaking jealous man.

In a french press...Wow!

So excited about Visio man, that is cool.

 
At December 12, 2006 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want you to know that you are certainly missed at Hope too. But it's definitely worth it for what you guys are doing.

I pray daily that God would be greatly glorified in Visio Dei. Thanks for your continued faithfulness for the kingdom.

 
At December 12, 2006 8:14 PM, Blogger jeff said...

shannon, thank you. seriously.

chris, yep, i've been to this place a lot lately and the last time i was there she told me i'd have to try the kenyan peaberry so i reminded her of that today and she said she'd have to brew it in a french press, like she was asking me if i minded... life's tough.

jason, thanks for your prayers, and you should pray that we don't do too many stupid and/or heretical things to make him look bad... although i'm sure you're already praying that as well...

 
At December 13, 2006 9:28 AM, Blogger Sam Ed. said...

If I had only known what was going to happen when you asked me to wear that ugly black t-shirt that said "hungry?" and stand outside a little building on Chapel Hill Road and tell people about this group of 20-somethings...

I'm so proud of you guys Jeff...and even more proud to have been a part of something that God's going to use to our city upside-down!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home