Friday, October 20, 2006

life outside the office

so we're planting this church, which is a whole other series of blog posts conspicuously absent from my blog, and for now that means we are homeless. Hope booted me out of my office, which was a little sentimental for me since I've worked there 8 years, but I feel like I've been set free. I realized my desk was a repository for junk I couldn't decide what to do with and I'm hoping to not find space for one in our new building. I feel like a desk just beckons me, saying, "You must spend time with me" and I feel like it's a horribly unproductive environment for me when I'm trying to get a message ready. I do miss my bookshelves. I think the only thing I'll really miss about my office is that my kids knew where I was so they would come into our office suite and run down the hallway screaming, "Daddy, daddy!". I wonder what they're going to do the first time they run down the hallway screaming "daddy" only to find Joe in my office...

For the past few weeks I've been wandering from coffee shop to coffee shop in search of free wifi and a place to call 'office' for a few hours. Here are some observations:

- You can get free wifi almost anywhere in Raleigh and almost nowhere in Cary. One manager flat out told me it's because they figure people in Cary have enough money that they won't think about paying for it. The only place in Cary I've found free wifi is Caribou, and they just started offering it a few weeks ago.

- Cafe Cyclo was my favorite place until it closed a week ago. Great atmosphere, divided their spaces well so you didn't think you were right next to anybody. Too bad for me that it closed, but we bought a bunch of their furniture for the new building where our church will meet, so good for us. And Marissa Byelick made the best hazelnut lattes around.

- Whenever I'm at Helios I feel like everyone's listening to my conversation. Great location, not so great atmosphere.

- There's a new starbucks right by my house. I've been there a few times. Good coffee, no free wifi. I was listening to (eavesdropping, really) a manager evaluate one of his employees the other day. Good manager, but starbucks wants it's employees to eat, drink and breath starbucks 24/7. working for that place must really make you feel like you're working for the man.

- Tried out the Royal Bean on hillsborough yesterday. I'll be back. Free wifi, cool atmosphere, lots of space, and the folks behind the counter were awesome.

Any other suggestions?

10 Comments:

At October 20, 2006 11:56 AM, Blogger Sam Ed. said...

I might recommend The Morning Times Coffeehouse (next door to the Raleigh Times) on Hargett Street. I haven't been there yet myself, but from what I hear people like it! It hasen't been open long! Let me know what you think if you try it out!

Miss you tons Jeff...can I see your face soon, please?

 
At October 20, 2006 5:16 PM, Blogger jason said...

Was there today Sam... really nice... on a seperate note... boo to Cary for not offering wi-fi more...

 
At October 20, 2006 11:04 PM, Blogger Jonathan Ellis said...

Not much of a coffee place, but Panera in Cary offers free wifi. As does Bear Rock in Crossroads.

 
At October 22, 2006 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for the raleigh area, visit:
www.associatedcontent.com/article/57594/the_top_places_to_find_free_wifi_in.html
(i would say the writer's choice for the north regional library will be easy on the wallet-but a little coffee on the side helps prevent writer's block)

if you're traveling around the state, visit:
www.wififreespot.com/nc.html
(and surprisingly, many merchants in cary are listed)

 
At October 22, 2006 1:22 PM, Blogger kec said...

A friend and I used to spend hours at the Panera in Southpoint. Free wireless (pretty sure), but they were also pretty nice. Didn't mind us hanging out playing board games and doing bible study and were friendly.

 
At October 22, 2006 9:27 PM, Blogger Shannon Smith said...

I got some free internets at my house. I usually do not go into to work until late, so you could come by in the mornings and hang out. Hey, if I am not here, you can just sit in the driveway. I hear Matt Rowe doesn't leave his house until noon. You could probably stop by there too.

 
At October 24, 2006 10:35 AM, Blogger jeff said...

Thank you for all your suggestions (and the invitation to your house, Shannon). I will definitely be checking out the Morning Times and probably stop by the Panera in Cary, although it always seems very hectic in there. The wifi listing definitely helped too, anonymous, but most of those places are way on the other side of Cary.

The whole anonymous thing is funny. I find myself thinking everytime someone posts anonymously, it's teh same person, like that's someone's name. I have a character profile in my head of what anonymous looks like and everything. Well, thanks for posting, anonymous person, it adds some mystery to the blog thing.

I've been in Miami the past few days and found a great Panera down here. Real good job separating their space up and great internets. Be back in town tomorrow...

 
At October 24, 2006 10:50 PM, Blogger jason said...

i can see you right now.. i am behind you...

 
At October 25, 2006 3:32 PM, Blogger Kat said...

the panera in cary shuts off its wifi from about 11:30 to 1:30 every day. it's just wrong. they don't even care if you bought their 1.75 cup of coffee either.

 
At November 07, 2006 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So late, but port city java downtown is great. The coffee is expensive but delicious, and free wifi, and space!

234 Fayetteville Street Mall, Raleigh, NC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home