Friday, August 11, 2006

So I have a cardiologist now...

4, actually. Another sign that you're getting old, you have a cardiologist (to go along with caring about your grass growing, driving a minivan, and having a luggage carrier on top of said minivan).

May was a weird month. Most days I felt really lightheaded and out of it, to the point that I wondered if I should be driving and some days if I would be able to keep doing what I do for living (study, teach, hang out with people, try to figure out how to structure a community that will bring people closer to God... that's pretty much what I do for living... go ahead and be jealous). Anyways, I finally went to the doctor after waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep because I was short of breath.

One MD, two cardiologists, and two cardiac surgeons later, I figured out I have a bicuspid aortic valve that is leaking severely and needs to be replaced... soon... and I have to choose between the Ross Procedure, where they replace your aortic valve with your pulmonary valve and replace your pulmonary valve with a 'pig' valve (like I won't hear about that for the rest of my life), and simply replacing my aortic valve with a mechanical valve.

The upside of the Ross is that you don't need to take medication on an ongoing basis after surgery. The downside is that it's full blown open heart surgery and takes longer to recover from, and there's a chance you have to get the pig valve re-operated on because they tend to calcify or develop scar tissue.

The upside of the mechanical valve is they can do minimally invasive surgery which is easier to recover from and you'll very likely never need surgery again. The downside is you have to take coumadin, a blood thinner, for the rest of your life. I haven't heard lots of good things about coumadin. At best you have to take it every day, get your blood tested once a month, deal with bruising and cuts that take long times to heal, and stay pretty consistent in your diet. At worst, people report developing anxiety and depression, getting cold very easily, having trouble sleeping at night, and having your blood tested weekly to maintain the right levels.

The guy I saw yesterday pretty much said there's not a big upside to waiting for this surgery and I should get it done in the next few months, and he discouraged me from the Ross Procedure, which I had pretty well decided I wanted, because he's sent too many people back to the operating room after they've had a Ross. Not necessarily scared about anything but the part where they stop your heart and then figure they can start it back up anytime they want to. Kind of freaks me out but I guess they do it all the time.

Sothat's what's going on. Thanks for your prayers. I hope to make a decision in the next week and get something scheduled. If you know anyone on coumadin, let me know. I'd really like to talk to some people who have to deal with it.

8 Comments:

At August 11, 2006 11:51 AM, Blogger Chris Marlow said...

hey jeff

sorry to hear about this, i will be praying for you.

i know god will give you wisdom, strengh and health.

 
At August 11, 2006 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you!!

God will help lead you and give you strength to go through this.

Thanks for sharing!

 
At August 11, 2006 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I e-mailed my co-worker (a pediatric cardiologist) and asked his opinion about your situation. This was his response...

"I read the blog entry, and I'm sorry that your friend is facing this decision. All things considered, we are generally recommending the Ross procedure. When done by a surgeon who is experienced with it, the results are very good. Please let me know if I can help in any other way."

My co-worker (Dr. Milazzo) doesn't know that you are considering Dr. Jaggers for surgery at Duke, but I can tell you that the two of them are good friends and that Dr. Milazzo highly recommends Dr. Jaggers for cardiac surgery. We refer all of our pediatric patients to Dr. Jaggers with excellent results.

Hope this helps! We'll be praying for you, Jeff.

 
At August 23, 2006 3:01 PM, Blogger Shannon Smith said...

It's not like you are planning for this week's talk. So, why no new content?

 
At September 01, 2006 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom actually has the same thing you have. I'll be helping out with the kids and praying for you.
<3

 
At October 20, 2006 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I have the same thing and am inthe same situation. I'm 41. I am considering replacing the aortic valve with a pig valve and then having a mechanical valve put in 10 to 15 years down the road when the pig valve gives out. By then, I am hoping that there will be a mchanical vale that only requires aspirin therapy. That is being tested in South Africa and Europe.
I'm coing in for a heart cath this week, and will robably have surgery in a month or 2. God bless you brother!

 
At November 18, 2006 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jeff
Hope all is well
Am reading your story whilst trying to do some research on aortic valves sitting in a cardiac surgical ITU although being an anaesthetic trainee don't know the difference in the type of variety of surgery. DOn't be afraid about going on the coumarin - it does mean taking tablets for life and in the begining requires regular blood tests until the level settles down to the degree that your cardiologist wants. anyway will be praying about your situation over here in the UK.
Roz

 
At December 22, 2006 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jeff,
I am in my 3rd week of recovery from Open Heart Surgery to replace my Bicuspid Aortic Valve and a repair of an Ascending Aortic Anneurysm that my surgeon found. I am only 41y.o and was born with the bicuspid valve. I chose a mechanical valve for lifelong. Having surgery like this is do-able but not one you want to have again in 10-15yrs to replace a porcine or bovine valve due to wear and tear. Coumadin is not a big deal once you get it regulated. It's a trade off for a healthy future. There's a great website for you to research: www.bicuspidfoundation.com. check it out and good luck. -Jackie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home