Monday, October 30, 2006

So we started this church yesterday...

not exactly. to be honest, i'm pretty sure we started a church about 3 years ago and yesterday we officially moved out of mom and dad's house... but what a crazy moving day.

there have been several times, as we've talked about starting this church over the past 6-12 months, that i've thought, 'somebody doesn't want us to do this, and i'm thinking it's either God or the devil.' finding out i needed heart surgery was one of those times. struggling to find a date to 'move out' of Hope and get started, and then finding out that date (Oct 22) was the week we'd already booked a trip to Miami was one of those times. being in the hospital (again) the friday night before our commissioning service a few weeks ago was one of those times. and getting a call at 8am yesterday morning to hear the the guy didn't show up to open the theatre we're supposed to meet in was one of those times.

so instead of meeting in a theatre, we had our first 'official' gathering in the parking lot. what a crazy morning... but a morning that really fit our story, our journey, and our community... what a perfect morning. thanks to whoever brought a generator. thanks to everyone that brought lawn chairs and blankets and your couch cushions and i think i saw a futon cushion out there too. thanks to children's workers and parents for adapting to our kids being on rubber mats in a parking lot for sunday school. thanks to a community of people who really thought it was awesome to be in a parking lot. thanks to all the people across the country who have been praying for us so diligently. and thanks to God who I think has some pretty crazy and unbelievable stuff in store for us. i'm real excited to see what God's going to do (to us) next... like where we're going to meet next sunday morning.

PS
take this with a grain of salt, but i'm pretty sure if it was God who didn't want us to start the church, He'd have killed me by now. i mean, He had a good shot to do it 8 weeks ago and passed it up. that leaves the devil, and i don't pretend to understand what the Bible says about spiritual warfare or how it works, but i think there's something to it and actually find all this craziness strangely encouraging.

6 Comments:

At October 30, 2006 11:33 AM, Blogger Kylah Jean said...

I must say yesterday was the most beautiful church service i have been to in my entire life. It was beautiful to see the begining. you will all be in my prayers while I am in baltimore! You all are an amazing blessing, and I feel honored that I got to at least be a small part of it (even if that means from far away). thankyou for your leadership and your willing heart to pursue the passion you've been given!!)

 
At October 31, 2006 12:09 AM, Blogger Shannon Smith said...

I thought the morning went well. I thought your talk was excellent. It was good to hear a message from you. It had been awhile.

 
At October 31, 2006 11:01 AM, Blogger jason said...

Dear Shannon,

sorry I suck...

-Jason

 
At October 31, 2006 11:24 AM, Blogger jeff said...

oh good, a little tension...

Kylah,
This is God posting on Jeff's blog. Move back to Raleigh.


Shannon,
This is Jeff. God gave me my blog back. Thanks. It had been a while. Now it looks like I actually have to work for a while... it feels good to get back in a groove and feel like getting ready to teach is the most important thing I'm can be doing instead of almost a side part of my job, which is how it felt with hungry.

Jason,
I'm sorry. You've been spending too much time with me and i feel responsible for your bitterness, which I'll blame on Mike because that's where I got it from.

 
At October 31, 2006 2:04 PM, Blogger Shannon Smith said...

Jason,
It's okay.

Now ask yourself, "Self... does he mean 'It's okay, you did not suck.' or 'It's okay that you suck.'"

Why am I commenting to you on Jeff's blog? Continued here.


Jeff,
Based on your comment, I hope you do not plan to teach English. (Jason, stop reading what I am writing to Jeff.) The message on Sunday seemed well put together, and well delivered.

I look forward to developing my teaching skills under your tutelage. Maybe when I am old I can be as good a teacher as you.

 
At October 31, 2006 10:02 PM, Blogger Kylah Jean said...

trying to be God, never turns out well...

hopefully i will be back soon. raleigh is very dear to my heart!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home