Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A Farewell To Buster

This is going to be a little melodramatic, but you'll have to forgive me, my dog died yesterday...

For my 30th birthday a few years ago my wife said we could get a second dog. After many trips to the SPCA and the Wake Cty Animal Shelter, we found a shy, gentle puppy with enourmous feet. They said he was 3 or 4 months old, was a blue tick hound, and would grow to be 80 pounds. Turns out he was some type of Great Dane mix and grew to be 125 pounds. But he had the perfect personality, kind of dopey, great with our kids, never once heard him growl.







We don't know what happened. He seemed fine yesterday morning. He was actually hopping the fence I had set up in my yard to keep him on one side. Then in the afternoon he didn't want to come inside and Bobbi-Jo checked on him a couple hours later and found him in the doghouse not moving. His stomach was a bit distended, and I think he got 'bloat'. It's a condition Danes get where their bowels get twisted and if you don't get them to a vet within 30 minutes, they'll die. (To be honest, we were trying to find a good home for Buster. We had run out of space and needed the room he stayed in downstairs for a play room. My wife had actually been praying that we would be able to find a place for him by Christmas. That tells me two things: 1-I'm not so sure God didn't kill my dog and 2-Don't get on my wife's bad side.)

I read recently that Americans spend 4 billion dollars on either dog food or total pet supplies. It was written in the context of 'how can we care so much for these animals and ignore all the needy people in the world'. I can't disagree... at all. But at the same time, reflecting on Buster's death, I wonder if our care for animals isn't the mis-directed image of God in us. God is a lover and a giver. I think we got our dogs because we wanted something to love, and dogs might be the easiest creatures in the world to love because they're so clueles.... forgiving. They say people who live alone are healthier when if they have a pet. Maybe it just points to that something in us that knows it's right to love and to give. Of all the dogs my family's had in my life, this one was my favorite. I'll miss him.

Well, Buster, here's hoping all dogs really do go to heaven and we'll see you again. Rest in peace, you were a wonderful dog.

4 Comments:

At December 14, 2005 11:11 PM, Blogger jason said...

Definately a great dog... He was great for all the reasons anyone would want a pet... couldn't ask for more...

I couldn't agree more with your comment about our misdirected desire to love and to give. I also believe (maybe in a twisted way) that dogs can come about as close to offering unconditional love as we see outside of the love of God.

I'm glad you have some great memories to keep from your times with Buster...

Love ya man,

-J

ps
please let me know if Bobbi-Jo is ever praying that I move away somewhere... seriously, I'll just go away...

 
At December 15, 2005 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that. Buster was a pleasant dog and I felt my eyes with tears when I read this blog.

Once I lost buster and mac while watching 'em when the ramsey's where gone. On a fine saturday morning, they took off to make my day worse.

But to my surprise, bustor, who looks like a stupid dog came back. He was a smart one. Yet, loosing mac, he wasnt happy to be in the house. He felt really worried and was laying down sad. :(

Jeff finally found mac and when I met them again, they were happy animals.

Certainly, buster was a GREAT pet and it was a chick magnet too. I remember him chasing squirrels when taking him for a walk on Ivy Lane.

Note: I wouldnt disagree with Jason's ps. Please let us know if BJ is praying about us.

 
At December 15, 2005 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only reason why you loved that dog is because you were a little smarter and a little taller then him. And don't get on Bobbie Jo's bad side. Mike O

 
At December 15, 2005 3:05 PM, Blogger jeff said...

thanks for your buster memories, i had forgotten about the squirrels, they don't come in our yard anymore... if you ever saw him try to roll over, that was pretty funny too

 

Post a Comment

<< Home