Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Jesus is for losers

We talked at hungry the other night about the blind beggar in John 9 that Christ healed. The point was that this beggar was a loser in his culture's system and that the winner's in their system (the pharisees) were threatened by Christ because He said abundant life is found outside the system they had set up and thrived in. And in the end this beggar chose to leave the system (they kicked him out of the synagogue) and follow Christ. Christ always hung out with the losers and they were the ones who were attracted to Him, maybe because the system didn't offer them much chance of winning.

It really got me thinking about what I think abundant life is and where I think it's going to come from. Yesterday it made me think about this passage from James:

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does."

I feel like that double-minded man, blown by the wind. I think part of me wishes for more things of the world... a bigger house, a nicer car, more security... and believes that is the abundant life. But the rest of me knows I checked out of that system because I realized it wasn't the abundant life, that I have the opportunity to be a blessing to others as a part of the 'occupation' I've been called to and there is nothing more abundant than that.

The other night I looked at my son as I put him to bed and thought, probably for the first time, "He was created for God's glory." I was challenged as to what I really believed his abundant life was. Do I believe it's the stuff and opportunities that we can provide for him to get ahead in this world? Or is it to cultivate in him a desire for the things of God?

I think God is telling me to make up my mind. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on the other night.

1 Comments:

At December 15, 2005 6:56 PM, Blogger INDIKA said...

Jeff,
The message from last Sunday night has been echoing b/w my ears all throughout the week. I felt like it was something I needed to hear and I have had questions and thoughts seep into the gray matter in my head. Yes, I agree that Jesus is for losers and I also believe that he is for the rest of the world as well. But the losers saw him best you know. They (the losers that Jesus came across) had nothing more to lose. They were entirely dependent. Because of that I believe that the hope that they had was more alive. As a result they "saw" Jesus in all His glory. I think thats why Jesus said to many of them:"Your faith has healed you". And when their eyes were opened they realized the reality of the winners. And they wanted nothing of it...like the blind man that you talked about. So, they followed Jesus and some even begged to follow him...b/c they knew that only he could give them abundant life. I think the social system that existed then hasn't changed a bit. It is alive and active today, and the only things that have changed are the costumes, the language, the technology and the scenery. We still have the blind, the sick, the possessed,the abused, the nerds, the wierdos and the wackos...also known as the losers. Then we have the winners. The rich, the educated, the popular, the smart, the bold and the beautiful. (I think that was a soap)Question: which one am I? Certainly I can't be a loser. I went to College so that I can get a good job and make money...so I can do good things with my money...so I can be indipendent...so I can become a winner...so I will be able to help the losers... right? May be I got this all wrong. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to see Jesus like that blind man saw Jesus. I want have that hope that only He can give me abundant life. This year has been the worst and the best year of my life at the same time. I have been forced to be dependent on many things and most of all on the Hand that sustains me. Every fiber in my being encourages me to step into the winners circle. Its so easy. Especially considering the community we live in. I think every one that comes to Hungry is a winner(I dont mean this in a bad way). And because of that I fear that we will never see "losers" amongst us. The ones that come will either stop coming or will fall through the cracks...and I think that we are becoming blind to their presence. I beleive that the kingdom of God can only be seen through the eyes of the losers. So, you are correct when you said that Jesus is for losers. I also believe that the "losers" amongst us point to the "loser" within us. If we dont have "losers" amongst us who will we reach out to? How will we witness the promise of God? How can we be challenged to be real? You have an amazing Job. You my friend, are a banner a sign and a challenge for all of us who are eager to jump in to the winners circle. You signal us to take a second glance at life before we jump in. You challenge us to consider where we might find life abundant. At least, you challenged me last Sunday. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home