Sunday, November 20, 2005

Wrapping up our Genesis series...

Thanks for all who were there tonight... I wish we had kept going there at the end for a while longer.

For those who couldn't be there, we wrapped up the Genesis:Go series with by weaving together the previous messages into a bigger story and then talking about how Jesus resolves much of the story. A few thoughts on that:
The violation that Adam and Eve committed was one of trust, and the thing that Jesus asks us for is our faith, our trust in Him.
The penalty for their (and our) violation was death, and after thousands of years of God demonstrating substitutionary atonement through the OT Law, Jesus died in our place on a cross.
The problem with Adam and Eve was the type of people they had become as a result of the fall, alienated from God, and Jesus didn't just die for us, He conquered death, rose from the grave, and offers new life through Him.
And then He demonstrates this new life for us and asks us to trust and follow...

Then we gave people a chance to respond and share what God had spoken to them during the series. Those responses are below (sorry for any misspellings). The coolest thing about typing them in was your fingerprints, a visible reminder that everyone is unique and that we are all in a different place in our journey with God. Thanks so much for sharing your hearts.

I saw the relevance of God's Word. Human nature hasn't changed a bit - this makes the Gospel as important now as ever.

A better understanding of God's gravity.

The love I see in others is a reflection of God's love.

I need to accept the comfort Christ lives. His plan is perfect and my plans are not according to His will. I want to find peace in Him. I want the full joy He gives. I need to stop fighting Him. Let go... Let God.

To be a better person.

God is calling me to rely upon Him in all things and more importantly, to recognize Him as the one, true, authentic source of self-esteem.

God shows passion and love for His people through sending His Son. Without passion and love for one another and without listening to God, we cannot share Christ's love.
Adam and Eve brought free will and evil into the world. God uses free will to allow people to be more devoted followers. Christ saved us from evil.

God did chase me down to know about Him - just like my circular thumbprint. I was running around and He did not let me go. He was always there. Thanks for preaching.

I've been searching for security in everything that fails. I now realize my insecurities are not mine but Satan's. Christ loved me so much and I am accepted.

God is showing me everyday that my identity is found in Him. That He has given me the heart and mind of Christ. Also that everything I do should be in loving response to the work of Christ in me. Praise God!

Can't do it on my own - Thank you God for fellowship.

Do I love my neighbor? Do I truly care for my neighbor?

Satan whispers to me that I am doomed because of my constant sin. God's written word tells me to trust Him and Him alone. I AM SAVED!

HE is everywhere. I know that through everything it will always be okay for He is closer than I ever imagined.

God has shown me grace in a very real way and allowed me to look outside myself and do away with my pride.

This is my 1st time here... got a big 'sign' wake-up call, whatever. God has shown Himself in my life in many little ways I've ignored... this week my roommate tried to commit suicide and I found him. God wanted me there and that happened for a reason and has made me want to draw Him close again and have Him in my life.

God has shown me how He can bring me full circle and use my mistakes and goofs to make our communion stronger.

Just as we choose Christ daily - we also choose to stay on our journey's in our marriage daily. With God's help we will celebrate 28 years soon!

Trust God in all areas of my life.

I am spiritually lazy. I need to listen to what God is telling me and DO it!

Compelled to serve and love in a whole new way... God's love for me and the grace I experience through Him motivates my actions.

My life isn't mine and it's for Your glory to spread Your word.

I think it is a miracle we can sing.

I want faith like Abraham. I have been working on giving up control and trusting God that He will fill my life with blessings in a way I could never fathom.

God is teaching me to accept all situations. Especially difficult ones as He has put them in my life for a reason - sometimes only He knows why.

God has been teaching me to receive so others may know the joy of giving - It is hard to do!

This helped me realize just how God has a plan for me and my life.

We cannot put our expectations in anyone else except God. No one else is ever going to fill and meet that void in our heart.

God is teaching me to trust Him completely. There are things in life I don't fully understand, but God has good plans for my life.

I am thankful that I have found hungry. I has been a true blessing. I am new here but have been praying for something like this to come into my life.

I am her to worship and follow God and to more than anything realize that my life was empty when I didn't ask God to be a part.

I sacrifice nothing for a God who gave everything. I don't want any kids to see God through my marriage.

After the message of Noah's Ark, I began to seek out more moments of discomfort because it is here when I learn to truly follow/depend/trust God.

God has brought me to a point in my life where I see a need for Him in my life - I feel loved, beautiful, and valuable!

God has reminded me over and over again during this series that it was Him that created me to be exactly who I am and that I should embrace that. By doing so, I'm released from the pain in my own life and am better equipped to show others than Christ can do the same for them.

Without God's gravity in my life, I would live in chaos...

A friend for ever.

God is teaching me that a relationship doesn't have to be perfect all the time and to just love Him through my times of wavering faith - it's ok to question faith.

As a biology major, it has been encouraging to hear this series because the more I learn about the science of life, the more I have to believe that only God could create it, unlike what all my professors expect me to believe.

I've learned how easily I look to the right and left looking/comparing myself to others to find my worth, when all God wants me to do is look up and let Him tell me my worth.

God is teaching me to feel helpless so that I rely on Him and His grace instead of always trying to do things on my own. I need to stop relying on my own strength.

My story is what God has given me and if I continue to follow and trust Him I will forever be rewarded. Thank You Father!

There was one more written in French, but I couldn't quite make out the handwriting...

1 Comments:

At November 21, 2005 10:55 AM, Blogger Chris Marlow said...

Hey Jeff, glad I found your blog...Lets hook up soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home