Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Sex Talk

What an awful phrase... and it's what communication about sex is limited to in our families and in our churches, a very occasional... very uncomfortable... talk. How about starting a sex conversation? Admitting the power of this topic and it's influence in our lives and continually lifting up God's view of sex, His dream in creating it, and our challenges in finding His will? I would encourage all of us to re-hash Sunday night in our community groups and conversations this week and in the coming weeks. Thanks for participating last night. Your comments (and the willingness and enthusiasm with which you offered them) were wonderful and made for a much more effective atmosphere in which to communicate God's Words.

I offer an apology for going long last night (didn't have a watch/cell phone so I have no idea how long it was), especially to those downstairs watching the kids. I figured two things: 1) Didn't really have to worry about people's attention spans because people listen when you talk about sex, and 2) I really wanted to get all the stuff I said in because I am concerned that people understand this in a complete way.

I re-iterate my offer about talking to us if you want to talk. The Catholic/Episcopal folks do something right with formal confession (from what I understand about pennance/absolution/all those hail mary's, I hate it... it totally ruins the point of the cross that He did something for us we could never do for ourselves). There is something powerful about confessing your sins one to another, verbalizing them, owning them. Here's our contact info if you want to talk about anything: Jeffr@gethope.net, Jasong@gethope.net, bjgramsey@nc.rr.com (my wife), dianagore@nc.rr.com (jason's wife). We'd love to talk.

I'd love any feedback you have about tonight, positive and especially negative. One-way communication is deficient. Someone said I gave a good 'speech' tonight, and although there was room for input, they're right, in essence it was a speech. I wish it were more of a conversation and hopefully we'll figure out a way to move in that direction. For now, we have this blog. Feel free to post anonymously.

Thanks for being a part of our community

4 Comments:

At February 12, 2006 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be too hard on yourself, sex is a tricky thing to talk about, especially at church. I Have been teetering on the edge of taking a stand in my relationship, but had nothing and no one to really back me up. I really loved tonight, and it's just what I needed. Thank you.

 
At February 13, 2006 3:13 PM, Blogger jeff said...

thanks for your honesty. even anonymously i think it's a real encouragement for a community to hear what God's doing in people's lives. your story (which is everyone's story) is the reason we need to talk more often about sex. with all the messages that are communicated to us daily about sex, it's hard to keep God's thoughts with us and we all need to be reminded that He created sex, He knows it's power and it's pleasure and made it just the way He did for reasons that He best understands.

 
At February 19, 2006 5:57 PM, Blogger INDIKA said...

Dang it! I missed the sex talk. Now I have to come back to NC for the next one. Jeff, I hope you are doing good. I was thinking about you today. Hope you are doing good man

 
At March 28, 2006 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from a random passer-by. I think your blog is interesting. A new book is coming out (unfortunately not until March 2007) - but it's by a guy named Rob Bell. The title of the book is Sex God. Subtitle: Exploring the endless connections between sexuality and spirituality. Might want to check it out even though you'll have to wait a year. :)

Sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home