Tuesday, May 08, 2007

he's growing up

so yesterday i pass by the playroom and see michael doing a puzzle and say, 'michael, who's the man?' i do this a bit and tell my boys that they're the man just to let them know i think they're great. so he says, 'you're the man, daddy' and i respond, 'no, you're the man, michael'. to which he says, 'daddy, why am i the man? is it because i winned? is it because i ran real fast, daddy?'

dangit... this kid is 4 and he's getting caught up in an acceptance by performance mentality already. this breaks my heart a little. i mentioned sunday that he already has this desire to win when we play games or do puzzles. part of me thinks this must be bad parenting on my part. part of me thinks i'm real screwed up and just passing it on to my son. and part of me thinks he's human and i should just expect this sooner than later. so i tried to explain to him that he's the man because i love him, and that will never change. so i asked him, 'why are you the man?' and he says 'because i love you daddy'.... arrrgh!

i'm finding it a challenge to describe God and my faith to my kid but this has been one of my best opportunities. his question reminds me of the psalms where david says, 'what is man that you are mindful of him and the son of man that you care for him?' and again where he says, 'you knitted me together in my mother's womb'. my guess is that he's asking a question that we are all asking at some level and one that he'll continue to ask for the rest of his life...

6 Comments:

At May 08, 2007 2:33 PM, Blogger Shannon Smith said...

If you could get the whole parenting thing figured out in the next two months that would be great. I feel like I may need some assistance. Or, you could continue to "screw up" and post about it, and I could try to learn from your mistakes.

For what it's worth, you seem like a pretty good dad. I've seen a lot worse.

And, If you screw these three up too bad, you can always give it another shot.

 
At May 09, 2007 8:37 AM, Blogger jeff said...

thanks, shannon... i think...

 
At May 12, 2007 7:43 AM, Blogger Alan Wilser said...

I was reading a book last week and realized that my dad had taught me all I needed to know by playing matchbox cars, building a tree house, and rebuilding an old jeep with me. It was much easier for me to accept that there was a Heavenly Father who loved me when I'd already had an earthly one do a pretty good job of it. Michael will be 26 before he understands what you're teaching him......maybe.

 
At May 16, 2007 1:39 PM, Blogger jeff said...

what book? i'll buy it for him now and give it to him when he turns 26

play with matchbox cars = check
built a tree house = don't have any trees but we can work on that
rebuild and old jeep = dangit...
my kids are doomed

 
At May 17, 2007 1:50 PM, Blogger jason said...

the winning thing... its prolly my fault... sorry

 
At May 31, 2007 1:47 PM, Blogger Jon said...

Screw up your own kids Jason....

He is fast though, I have to say. He smokes the other kids in the Gramsey 500 that occurs after every thursday night home group. Of course he has 2 years on them, but who cares.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home