Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Off to Israel

I'm sitting in the airport in Newark, waiting for our 10 1/2 hour flight to Tel Aviv to begin in a couple of hours! It's been a busy couple of weeks and it still doesn't feel like I'm about to go to Israel for 10 days.

Here's my agenda. I'll try to post some pics every other day or so.

Thursday, November 8 - Beth Shemesh, Valley of Elah, Joppa
Don't know much about Beth Shemesh. The Valley of Elah is where David defeated Goliath. Pretty excited about this one. It's where I told my kids I was going. Joppa is the port from which Jonah starts running from God.

Friday, November 9 - Caesarea by the Sea, Megiddo, Nazareth, Tiberias
I guess today we pass by the place where Elijah fought the prophets of Baal (one of the greatest stories in the Bible, i think - 1 Kings 18:1-40). I should know more about Megiddo, but I don't. Pretty excited about Nazareth.

Saturday, November 10 - Capernaum, Golan Heights, Mt Hermon, Caesarea Philippi, Mount of Beatitudes, Sea of Galilee
Should be a really exciting day seeing the region where much of Jesus' ministry took place. Can't wait to go to Caesarea Philippi where Jesus first talks to his disciples about the church - Matthew 16.

Sunday, November 11 - Beit Shean, Jericho, Qumran, Dead Sea
Beit Shean is where Saul and his sons were nailed to the city walls. Jericho is apparently the oldest known city in the world. Qumran is where they discovered the dead sea scrolls.

Monday, November 12 - Masada, Ein Gedi, Bethlehem
Ein Gedi is where David hid in the cave from Saul. Bethlehem should be amazing.

Tuesday, November 13 - Jerusalem - Wailing Wall, Temple Mount, Jewish Quarter
The Wailing Wall is the only thing remaining from the temple of Jesus' time and the holiest place in the world for the Israelites. I can't believe I'm going to be here!

Wednesday, November 14 - Jerusalem - Holocaust Museum, Israel Museum, Knesset, Ein Karem
I think the holocaust museum may be the most powerful thing we see on the trip. The Israel museum houses the dead sea scrolls. John the Baptist was born at Ein Karem.

Thursday, November 15 - Jerusalem - Mt of Olives, Garden of Gethsemene, Pools of Bethesda, Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Mt Zion, Upper Room
Wow! All the big sites in Jerusalem. The Garden, the Mt of Olives and the Via Dolorosa are going to be powerful. In fact, just typing this, it may be hitting me for the first time where I'm really going.

Friday, November 16 - Jerusalem - Gordon's Calvary, Garden Tomb
Not sure who Gordon is... Can't wait to see the Garden Tomb and learn more about it.

Saturday, November 17 - Home!
I think I get in around 8:45pm on Satuday. Anybody want to give me a ride home?

4 Comments:

At November 07, 2007 2:40 PM, Blogger Shannon Smith said...

It sounds like a cool trip. I'm kind of jealous.

Do you think it will be "touristy"? Do you think they will they have t-shirts, keychains, bobbleheads, etc.?

I can come get you when you get back if you still don't have a ride. If I do, I'll wear a black suit and make a sign that says Rev. Ramsey to hold up as you walk out of the terminal.

 
At November 07, 2007 5:51 PM, Blogger kec said...

I live 5min from the aeropuerto. :) If you need a ride, just holler. Should be free Sat night.

 
At November 07, 2007 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome man have a nice trip. take good pics.

 
At November 07, 2007 7:49 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

unlike shannon, i'm completely jealous! have a great trip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home